Federal Skilled Trade Worker
The Federal Skilled Trade Program (FSTP) is a Canadian immigration program designed to attract skilled tradespeople to Canada to fill gaps in the country’s labour market. In this guide, we’ll explain the eligibility requirements, benefits, and application process for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
To be eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have at least two years of full-time work experience in a skilled trade listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system.
- Your work experience must be in a skilled trade that’s in demand in Canada.
- You must meet the minimum language requirements in either English or French.
- You must have either a job offer from a Canadian employer or a certificate of qualification from a Canadian province or territory.
- If you meet these requirements, you may be eligible to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
Benefits of the Federal Skilled Trades Program
The Federal Skilled Trades Program offers a number of benefits, including:
- Permanent residency: If your application is approved, you will be granted permanent residency in Canada, which allows you to live and work in Canada indefinitely.
- Access to healthcare and social services: As a permanent resident, you’ll have access to Canada’s healthcare and social services.
- Opportunity to apply for citizenship: After living in Canada for a certain period of time as a permanent resident, you may be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.
- Opportunity to sponsor family members: As a permanent resident, you may be able to sponsor your spouse, children, or other family members to come to Canada.
The application process for the Federal Skilled Trades Program involves several steps, including:
Step 1: Determine your eligibility
Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. If you’re unsure whether you’re eligible, consult an immigration lawyer or consultant for guidance.
Request for Our Free Consultation
Step 2: Complete an Express Entry profile
Create an Express Entry profile on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. You’ll need to provide information about your education, work experience, language proficiency, and other personal details.
Step 3: Receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA)
If your profile is accepted, you’ll be entered into a pool of candidates. If you score high enough in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), you’ll receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency.
Step 4: Submit your application and pay the fee
Once you receive an ITA, you’ll need to submit your application for permanent residency and pay the processing fee.
Step 5: Wait for a decision
IRCC will review your application and make a decision on whether to approve your application. If your application is approved, you’ll be granted permanent residency in Canada.
The Federal Skilled Trades Program is a great way to immigrate to Canada if you have the skills and experience needed to contribute to Canada’s labour market. By following these steps and providing the necessary documentation, you’ll be on your way to obtaining permanent residency in Canada through the Federal Skilled Trades Program.