Intra Company Transfers
The Intra-Company Transfer program allows multinational companies to transfer key employees to their Canadian subsidiary or affiliate on a temporary basis. In this guide, we’ll explain the eligibility requirements, benefits, and application process for the Intra-Company Transfer program.
To be eligible for the Intra-Company Transfer program, both the Canadian company and the foreign company must meet the following requirements:
- The Canadian company must have a qualifying relationship with the foreign company, such as a parent company, subsidiary, or affiliate.
- The foreign company must have been conducting business for at least one year before the transfer.
- The employee being transferred must have been employed by the foreign company for at least one year within the past three years in a managerial, executive, or specialized knowledge position.
Benefits of the Intra-Company Transfer Program
Transferring employees to Canada through the Intra-Company Transfer program offers a number of benefits, including:
- Temporary work permit: Transferred employees and their families will be granted a temporary work permit, allowing them to live and work in Canada for a specified period of time.
- Short processing time: The Intra-Company Transfer program has a faster processing time compared to other work permit programs, allowing transferred employees to start working in Canada sooner.
Pathway to permanent residency: While the Intra-Company Transfer program is a temporary work permit program, transferred employees may be able to apply for permanent residency in Canada through other immigration programs, such as the Canadian Experience Class or the Express Entry program.
The application process for the Intra-Company Transfer program includes the following steps:
Step 1: Determine eligibility
Determine if the Canadian and foreign companies, as well as the employee being transferred, meet the eligibility requirements for the program.
Step 2: Prepare application documents
Prepare all required documents, including proof of the qualifying relationship between the Canadian and foreign companies, proof of the foreign company’s business operations, and proof of the employee’s qualifications.
Request for Our Free Consultation
Step 3: Submit an application
Submit the application for the employee’s temporary work permit, including all required documentation and the CAD $155 application fee.
Step 4: Attend a biometrics appointment
If required, the transferred employee and their family members will need to attend a biometrics appointment to have their fingerprints and photo taken.
Step 5: Receive a decision
The Canadian government will review the application and make a decision on whether to approve the transferred employee’s temporary work permit.
The Intra-Company Transfer program is a great option for multinational companies looking to transfer key employees to their Canadian subsidiary or affiliate. By meeting the eligibility requirements and following the application process, transferred employees and their families could be on their way to living and working in Canada and enjoying all the benefits that come with it.