Spousal Open Work Permit

Are you a spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? If so, you may be eligible for a spousal work permit, which will allow you to work in Canada. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the basics of a spousal work permit, including eligibility requirements, benefits, and how to apply.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a spousal work permit, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You must be in Canada with valid temporary resident status as a visitor, student, or worker.
  • You must demonstrate that your spouse or common-law partner can financially support you.
  • You must not be inadmissible to Canada due to a criminal record or other reasons.
  • You must undergo a medical examination if you plan to work in certain occupations or for more than six months.
  • If you meet these requirements, you may be eligible for a spousal work permit. Keep in mind that spousal work permits are only valid for the same period as your spouse’s study or work permit.
Benefits of a Spousal Work Permit

A spousal work permit offers a number of benefits, including:

  • The ability to work for any Canadian employer without a job offer and without having to go through the process of obtaining a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
  • The opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience, which can help you qualify for permanent residence through programs such as the Canadian Experience Class or the Provincial Nominee Program.
  • The ability to earn income and contribute to your family’s financial stability.
  • The chance to network with Canadian employers and colleagues, which can help you find future job opportunities.
  • How to Apply for a Spousal Work Permit

To apply for a spousal work permit, you will need to submit an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The application process involves completing various forms, providing supporting documents, and paying a processing fee.

Here are the steps you’ll need to take to apply for a spousal work permit:

Step 1: Determine your eligibility

Make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements for a spousal work permit. If you’re unsure whether you’re eligible, consult an immigration lawyer or consultant for guidance.

Request for Our Free Consultation

    Step 2: Gather supporting documents

    You’ll need to provide several supporting documents with your application, including:

    Proof of your spouse’s Canadian citizenship or permanent residency status

    Proof of your own identity

    Proof of your current status in Canada

    Evidence that your spouse or common-law partner can financially support you

    A letter of offer from an employer (if you have one)

    Step 3: Complete the application forms

    You’ll need to complete several forms as part of your spousal work permit application, including:

    Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (if you’re outside Canada)

    Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder (if you’re inside Canada)

    Document Checklist (IMM 5556)

    Step 4: Submit your application and pay the fee

    Once you’ve completed the forms and gathered the necessary supporting documents, you can submit your application to IRCC. You’ll need to pay a processing fee as part of the application process.

    Step 5: Wait for a decision

    IRCC will review your application and make a decision on whether to grant you a spousal work permit. The processing time for spousal work permit applications varies depending on the volume of applications and other factors