AICS immigration

How much money is required to sponsor a family in Canada?

Canada is well-known for its friendly approach towards immigration, providing countless opportunities for families to rejoin and start a new life in this diverse and open country. Family sponsorship is one such option, which allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor qualifying family members to come and live in Canada. If you’re thinking about sponsoring a family member, you should be aware of the financial responsibilities involved. We’ll look at the financial implications of sponsoring a family in Canada in this blog.

Overview of the Sponsorship Programme

In Canada, the Family Sponsorship Programme allows qualifying sponsors to bring their close relatives to the country as permanent residents. You can sponsor your spouses, common-law partners, conjugal partners, dependent children, or other qualifying relatives, such as parents or grandparents, under this program.

Financial Requirements

Sponsoring a family member requires a large financial investment, and the Canadian government wants to ensure that sponsored individuals do not rely only on social assistance upon arrival. As a result, in order to demonstrate their ability to support their sponsored family members, sponsors must achieve certain financial eligibility conditions.

Minimum Necessary Income (MNI)

The Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) is the first and most important financial criterion. The MNI is the minimal income required for sponsors to support their family members. The MNI threshold is determined by the size of the sponsor’s family unit as well as the number of family members being sponsored.

Size and composition of the family

The size and composition of your family unit have a direct impact on the MNI you must demonstrate. Your family unit consists of you, your spouse or partner (if you have one), and any dependent children. The government determines the number of persons being sponsored and the number of people in your family unit when you sponsor additional family members, such as parents or grandparents, and let you gain Parents’ and Grandparents’ Sponsorship. It is crucial to note that different Canadian jurisdictions may have varied financial requirements for sponsors. For example, the province of Quebec has its own immigration system, and sponsors who live in Quebec must meet both provincial and federal income standards.

Providing Financial Assistance

As a sponsor, for Spousal Sponsorship you must sign an undertaking, which is a legally binding contract. By signing this paper, you agree to provide financial assistance to your sponsored family member for a set length of time. The duration of the endeavour is determined by the sponsored individual’s relationship to the sponsor as well as their age. 

Sponsorship Contract

Sponsored family members may be asked to sign a sponsorship agreement in some situations. This agreement reaffirms their resolve to make every attempt to support themselves and their accompanying family members without relying on Canadian government social assistance.


Sponsoring a family member to immigrate to Canada is a fantastic way to reconcile with loved ones while also providing them with the opportunity for a better life in this varied and rich country. However, it is critical to understand the financial duties and regulations associated with the process. The Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) is an important consideration in family sponsorship situations. As a sponsor, you must meet the income requirements based on the size of your family unit and the number of dependents. It is strongly advised to seek the advice of a professional Canadian Immigration consultant in India to ensure a smooth sponsorship procedure and avoid any delays. They can offer personalized assistance, assist you in understanding the financial criteria, and guarantee that you meet all of the conditions for successful family sponsorship in Canada while you Apply for Canada Family Sponsorship Visa. Also Read:- What’s the Average Salary for Software Engineers in Canada?